Time: 2 Contact Hours
After taking this course, the expected outcome is that a CNA will apply safety standards for reducing work-related violence, as well as apply sensitivity training for all individuals. This course has an emphasis on the interactions of vulnerable adults and minors, including those with disabilities, elderly individuals, vulnerable adults, and minors.
Caution – Do not use Google Chrome or Apple Safari
This course will not let you receive credit for each lesson you completed if you are using the Google Chrome or Apple Safari web browser to take this training. Please switch to a different web browser like Microsoft Edge for the time being, in order to receive credit for each lesson and topic you complete.
- Microsoft Edge (or Internet Explorer)
- Mozilla Firefox
If you are still having problems getting credit, contact us here.
As a CNA, you will need to be proficient in the following skills:
- Understanding the importance of reporting workplace violence
- Recognizing the risks associated with workplace violence
- Identifying Components of abuse and neglect and the different types of assailants one may encounter
- Becoming familiar with the American Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Recognizing, understanding and working with people who have the following impairments and delusions: down syndrome, autism spectrum disorder (ASD), dementia, ADD/ADHD, personality disorders, and more
- Your responsibilities to protect vulnerable adults and minors
- Recognizing the impact of reporting maltreatment of vulnerable adults and minors
- Maintaining professional boundaries with co-workers and residents
- Practicing effective communication with co-workers and residents
- Identifying the warning signs of abuse and neglect
- Reporting and preventing elder and minor abuse
- Communication techniques for de-escalating dangerous situations
- Avoiding situations that lead to allegations of abuse
- Strategies for dealing with difficult residents
Please select the ‘Vulnerable Patient Abuse Prevention’ lesson below to begin. As this course takes some time to complete, you may exit at any point and pick up right where you left off at any time.